The weekly sewing challenge continues, this week was officially to sew something that would be useful in your sewing room. But I didn’t feel like making a scrap catcher, fabric box or pin cushion (my only realistic ideas in the time frame I had). So I went “rogue” and cut into the fabric that just came yesterday.
It’s the Choose Your Own Adventure by Rad Patterns. I went for curved hems front and back, I almost did high/low but decided I wanted to keep it even. Now I just have big brothers to do, but week 4 is sew something for a boy/man, so brothers shirt gets to wait until tomorrow.
Because of cold kitties and other distractions this shirt barely made deadline of tomorrow at 7 pm. And had I realized it was tomorrow I would’ve probably procrastinated even longer. Wanna see the other distraction?
Here is the first attempt, isn’t it awful? My paint “bled” everywhere and my name just got globbed up in the crack. So I sanded it down and started again, which is one of the joys of woodworking I suppose.
I decided to leave some of the original gray and white for “texture” and ran over it with a blue stain I got cheap at Walmart. It took forever to dry and made a heck of a mess, but it looks cute so I guess it’s worth it.
I followed the advice from one of my Facebook groups and mod podged the stencil areas before painting to help with the bleeding. Would’ve worked better if I had known before hand that stencils won’t stick to oil based stains. I had whitewashed the first try so it stuck no problem, but this try it wouldn’t even try.
Luckily distressing helps a lot, so now it just looks like it’s supposed to be this way. Hubby wants me to wait for her birthday to give it to her, I just want to give it to her now. I hate waiting, but I suppose he has a point, so birthday it shall be.
I end with proof it does get cold in hell, all 3 of my cats who normally take turns hating each other are all within paws reach on my blanket (and in all of my legroom).